The event: SPADEWORK with Jill Speed
Where: Vestry Hall, Marden
When: Tuesday 11th June 2019 at 7.30pm
Spadework is a charity in Offham, Kent, which provides life skills, training and work experience for people with learning and other disabilities.
Their aim is to support the trainees, who use their service as they develop their independence and personal skills through social interaction with the community, providing them with the necessary tools to reach their full potential.
Trainees are involved in all aspects of Spadework. They produce the plants that are sold in the Garden Centre and the fruit and vegetables served in the Café and sold in the Farm Shop.
The trainees help to make cakes, jam and chutneys and serve customers in the Café. They also make items in craft and woodwork, which are sold at the Farmers’ Markets and in the Farm Shop. In IT, they produce information that supports the business, including producing labels, plant information sheets and weather updates that help staff and trainees to plan the week.
Spadework provides practical training to develop vocational and life skills;
- Horticulture: nursery and garden centre work, presenting plants for sale to the general public.
- Gardening: developing new gardens around the site for customers to come and enjoy.
- Allotment: growing an amazing range of fruit and vegetables to sell in the Farm Shop and Café. They also sell and deliver Veg Boxes in the local area.
- Café: making cakes, preparing food, taking food & drink orders and serving customers.
- Farm Shop: receiving & packing customer orders.
- Computers – IT sessions to support trainee’s holistic development of speaking, listening, literacy & numeracy.
- Woodwork: producing articles for sale and general maintenance.
- Art and Crafts: to sell at the Farm Shop, Garden centre or Farmers’ Markets.